Friday, May 04, 2007

Happy Friday. I walked into the office manager's office this morning to ask a question and spied this box of Hershey's Kisses on top of the bookshelf. It was full of Kisses, brightly wrapped in red, green and silver foil.

I inhaled the scent of Kisses and immediately was transported 25 years back when I was little and would visit my Big Mama and Big Daddy's house in Cherry Creek. Danny, Big Mama's mama, had the back bedroom. Her bed had a brass frame and an inexpensive gold-colored spread (I thought it was lovely). Next to the bed was a small night stand with two or three drawers. I'd sneak in the room and open that top drawer, because it was always full of Hershey's Kisses. The smell of that drawer when you opened it was heavenly.

Danny's been gone 20 years or more, and Big Mama doesn't live in Cherry Creek anymore. But that bed and that little table still stand in the guest bedroom across the hall from Big Mama's.

Every once in a while I'll go back there and open that drawer. There aren't any Kisses anymore, but I still imagine the smell is there. The smell of my great-mother who lived 103 years and made the best blueberry pies in the world and watched "Days of Our Lives." The chocolate smell of memories.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP