Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Making Art?


Hi all. Hannah had a lot of homework yesterday and I had a lot of art to make, so we spent a quiet evening at home, working together at the dining room table. Bess, you'll notice that I gave Hannah my Russian doll t-shirt you got me; it shrank too much for me to wear.

Anyway, I drove up the neighborhood to sketch a couple of things I thought were interesting. Here are the sketches:

I dunno what theses things are, but they make cool shapes. I thought I'd do some kind of graphic, flat image but the modeling on the seed pods below was just really interesting. I also bought a linoleum block from Hobby Lobby and hope to make some prints of this soon....
Here's my attempt to make a painting of the above image on one of the canvas bags I'd bought to decorate and sell at Art on the Loop March 20.

Beginning to lack inspiration I thought, hey butterflies are always popular. So I googled some images and then adapted my sketch (translation: made it simpler because it's really hard to paint).
This is definitely my favorite bag so far. I've only done the one side and I'll add some beads on later. I'm into Islamic art right now (seen a lot of it on my travels) and love love love the details and intricacy of the tiles and fabrics I've seen. This is a very rough attempt on my part.
So that's what's happening here. Oh and it rained today, finally. My little lettuces and other plants (either tomatoes, cilantro or basil) are sprouting. I'm fighting rollie pollies and was amazed at how many gardening forums there are online, AND how many people have rollie pollie trouble AND how none of them know how to get rid of them. The most interesting suggestion I've received so far came from a friend who said to stick an empty beer bottle down in the soil which would trap the pollies when they fall in. They can't get back out. Hmmm....

No comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP