Saturday, September 05, 2009

At Home Friday Night


Since the football game was Thursday night, we had Friday night all to ourselves. Lanier was out with the guys, and I was dying to make this new recipe I'd gotten off Smitten Kitchen's blog. It's written by a pregnant woman who loves food. What better person to dispense culinary wisdom?



It's Tomato and Corn Pie, and it sounded so amazing. And it IS! The crust was so gorgeous when I took it out of the oven, I nearly fell over.

Here are some beautiful flowers I'd just bought myself at HEB. I love love love these colors. And wish I could have afforded to have hypericum berries in my own wedding bouquet. Alas.



Hannah was hanging out in the dining room reading while I cooked.


Finally! I cut into the pie. The top shell of the crust cracked under the pressure of the knife but once in, quickly revealed its glorious steaming red and yellow contents. Ahhh!!


Here is the last picture before I set down my camera and dug in. We ate like field hands, to borrow a phrase from GWTW.

The sweet bursts of corn! The explosions of fresh basil! Oh my goodness, the tomatoes...even if you don't like tomatoes, you'll convert over this one. Oh sweet salvation.


I can't say enough about this pie so I'll quote the author's words herself:

I want you to stop what you’re doing, head to the nearest market as soon as humanly possible, grab yourself two giant beefsteak tomatoes, a few ears of corn, block of cheddar, some fresh chives and basil, breathe a sigh of relief that you’ve already got some butter, milk, lemon and mayo on hand (you do, don’t you?) and go home and make this for dinner. If you’re lucky, you’ll have a slice leftover for breakfast. If your friends are lucky, you’ll share with them. But I wouldn’t bank on it. Really, they can make their own.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP